What is Chef?
Chef is an open source systems management and cloud infrastructure automation platform. Opscode created the Chef configuration management tool, and the company later changed its name to Chef. Chef transforms infrastructure into code to automate server deployment and management. It can also be termed as programmable infrastructure. Chef uses a pure-Ruby, domain-specific language (DSL) for writing system configurations. Below are the types of automation done by Chef, irrespective of the size of infrastructure:
- Infrastructure configuration
- Application deployment
- Configurations are managed across your network
Chef supports multiple platforms like AIX, RHEL/CentOS, FreeBSD, OS X, Solaris, Microsoft Windows and Ubuntu. Additional client platforms include Arch Linux, Debian and Fedora. Chef can be integrated with cloud-based platforms such as Internap, Amazon EC2, Google Cloud Platform, OpenStack, SoftLayer, Microsoft Azure and Rackspace to automatically provision and configure new machines.
What is the use of Chef?
Chef tool helps in speeding up the deployment process and software delivery. Being a DevOps tool it helps in streamlining the configuration task and managing the company’s server.
In other words, Chef manage the configuration or infrastructure by having a command code in its server.
For example – Our 100 systems needs new update and our users are not aware of latest versions. so Instead of them or system administrator, Chef will update the latest configuration into all systems automatically by having a code in its server like we have to install linux in all systems or install new apps or update apps with latest versions, so we will write a code with all details related to linux and update or about apps and push them in server. So now Chef will push a notification with all latest updates in all systems and you have to install. The work that would take 1 week to be finished, now its done in just 10 mins. This is the use of Chef tool.
Compare Ansible Certification Vs Puppet Certification Vs Chef Certification
- Ansible certification conducts by RED HAT company.
- The Red Hat Certified Specialist in Ansible Automation exam (EX407) is a new certification program by Red Hat that you have to pass to become a Certified Specialist in Ansible automation.
- Exam fees $400 (Plus taxes).
Audience for this exam
- System administrators
- DevOps engineers
- A Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) willing to become a Red Hat Certified Specialist or Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA).
Prerequisites for this exam
- Successfully complete Automation with Ansible (DO407), or demonstrate equivalent experience working with Ansible to configure systems.
- Being a Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) or higher or having equivalent systems administration experience is recommended, but not required.
- Exam name – Puppet Professional 2019 Certification
- cost – $200 USD
- This online exam is headed by puppet partner QuestionMark.
Audience for this Exam
- Software engineers
There are no such prerequisites but below mentioned knowledge would be great if you have:
- Understand how to administer system infrastructure by using Puppet IT automation software and develop basic modules, comprising data separation and external data sources.
- Understand the relevant Puppet documentation, accepted practices as documented in the Puppet Language Style Guide, and maintenance of relevant OS components.
- Complete the Getting Started With Puppet and Puppet Practitioner courses or have the equivalent experience.
- To become Chef specialist certified professional get trained online from DevOpsSchool.
- Costs – Rs 19,999
- Systems Operations Personnel
- Quality Analysts
- Planning to become a DevOps Professional
- Linux Command Line Operations
- Text Editor
- Experience with installing and configuring applications.
List of Chef Certification
- Chef Essential Training
- Chef Intermediate Training
- Chef Advance Training
- Chef inSpec Training
Chef Certification Cost
- Rs 19,999
Best salary for Chef Certified Professional
- $177,355 per year for a Software Development Engineer to $188,376 per year for a Solutions Architect and in India its approax 10.3 Lakhs per year
Best Chef Certification Tutorials
Best Chef Certification Video Tutorials
Best Chef certification exercise dumps
- Packer Tutorials: Amazon Secrets Manager Data Source – amazon-secretsmanager - May 25, 2023
- Packer Tutorials: Amazon Data Sources – amazon-parameterstore - May 25, 2023
- What is DevSecTestOps? - May 25, 2023