InstallerExpert created the topic: windows installer is not working. cannot open internet explorer, play dvd or cd,
I followed these instructions but it did not work.
Before making any registry changes, it is suggestible to take backup of the registry settings by following the steps given below:
1. Click Start, ‘search’ field type REGEDIT
2. Click OK
3. Click “File” in the menu bar
4. Click “Export” from the drop down menu this will open a new box
5. Click the down arrow beside “Save In” and select “Local Disk (C:)”
6. In the File Name field type BACKUP.REG
7. Verify that under the ” Export Range “, that the radio button is beside “All”
8. Click Save
Now, follow the steps given below to check the registry path:
1. Click Start.
2. Go to Run.
3. Type regedit and click Ok.
Registry editor window will open.
4. Click + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
5. Click + sign next to SYSTEM.
6. Click + sign next to CurrentControlSet.
7. Click + sign next to Services.
8. Select MSIServer.
The contents of the MSIServer will be displayed on the right hand side of the window.
9. Double-click the ImagePath Value Name, a REG_EXPAND_SZ data type, and verify that the data string is correct. The value should be like this:
10. Shutdown and restart the system.
Now, register the MSIexec.exe file by following the steps given below:
1. Press F8 when the windows starts booting and select Safe mode.
2. After you log on to the system, follow the steps given below:
3. Click Start, go to Run.
4. Type msiexec /regserver and click Ok.
5. Shutdown and restart normally.