General SCM Interview Questions – SCM Job Interview Kit
- What do you think about configuration management?
- What do you understand about Change Management?
- branching methodologies and what currently theya re using it. Show with some example with pros and cons
- Concept of Merging and Why do we need?
- What do you think about build Management?
- What are the key benefit of build Automation and what are the key inputs to automate the build process in the project?
- Discuss about tools and technology which help to automate the entire build cycle.
- What is Continuous Build Integration and How this is useful for the project?
- What is daily build & nightly builds and what are the process need to set up to Automate & monitor consistently.
- Explain in details for writing build sciprt for any project
- What do you think about release Management?
- Talk about Release Management on several platforms?
- What do you understand about Packaging and Deployment?
- How to Automate Remote Deployment of Builds on Development & Test Servers?
- What is workflow management. exmplain this in details.
- What do you understand about Code Coverage? Describe repective tools & utilities.
- Describe the Integrate Packaging scripts & Test Automation scripts with build & Monitor build verification test status and tools.
- How to co-ordinate with development team to increase their productiavity.
- What do you understand about multisite project
- How SCM team perform integration and co-ordination between Dev and QA
- Explain Troubleshooting in Build Server and Process
- Explain Troubleshooting in Configuration Server and Process
- Explain Troubleshooting inMost popular java Comipler issues in build server
- Explain Troubleshooting inMost popular C++ compiler issues in build server
- software packaging tools if they will be packaging or writing the installations for the releases.
- Backup your code daily with respect to SVN.
- Overview of Batch Scripts and top 25 commands
- Discuss about Web Servers and Application servers
- What do you think about distributed and multi-site environment
- Can you name some software development methodologies and describe them?
- Agile attempts to minimize risk by developing software in short iterations.
- Extreme Programming employs simplicity, frequent communication, constant customer feedback and decision empowerment.
- Iterative development is a cyclical methodology that incorporates refactorying into the process.
- Waterfall software development is a phased methodology. When one phase is complete, it moves onto the next phase.
- What is an API?
- What is a web service?
- What the difference between a global and a local variable?
- What are Bug /Issue Tatcking tools available and descibe them
- How does Subversion handle binary files?
- What is ADO?
- What is polymorphism?
- Plz Let me the Difference Between Bea Weblogic IBM Websphere
- What are basic skills required for Perforce administration including Command Line info.
- How we can develop Build summary reports for Mgmt team and what are the key inputs for report.
- Explain the best practice for Setup process & maintain the Archive of software releases (internal & external) & license management of Third Party Libraries
- Identify the Cdeployment tools for major/minor/patch releases in different environment.
- Explain Red Hat Linux and some of daily used features.
- Explain Perforce & Multisite
- Concept of labeling, branching and merging
- labeling, branching and merging in perforce
Talk about Release Process
Can you describe some source code control best practice?
# Use a reliable and dedicated server to house your code.
# Backup your code daily.
# Test your backup and restore processes.
# Choose a source control tool that fits your organization’s requirements.
# Perform all tool specific administrative tasks.
# Keep your code repositories as clean as possible.
# Secure access to your code.
Can you describe software build best practices?
# Fully automated build process
# Build repeatability
# Build reproducibility
# Build process adherence
CM tools Comparison
- Difference Between CVS and SVN
- Difference Between perforce and SVN
- Difference Between perforce and Clearcasee
- Difference Between VSS and TFSC
- Difference Between perforce and MKS